Data Solution Architect
Hammersmith -Griffin House Hammersmith Road -C1770
Architecture and Strategy
Function:Architecture and Strategy
As we enter one of the most exciting times in our history we are looking for a Data Solution Architect that oozes our Virgin values and embraces the on-going ways of working within Liberty Global.
Why Virgin Media? We are the future. We understand our people, their lifestyles and we support them no matter what. We LOVE being different, thinking outside the box and being the best we can be, all the time.
What will you be doing?
This is an exciting opportunity to join us as a Data Solution Architect, Ensuring that the current approved data hardware and software architecture is followed and adheres to the agreed licencing and OPEX constraints. Being the recognised Data SME and the point of contact for the Enterprise data assets. In addition to engaging early on the project lifecycle to support and contribute to the enterprise solution design and being an advocate for best practice.
- Maintains a holistic view of All UK data assets by defining the overall data architecture approach for aAll major projects
- Contributes to Enterprise wide solutions projects at start up to represent the data element.
- Support the Solution Designer to define the Data element of the IT solution
- Defines and ensures the current approved data hardware and software architecture is followed on every new data system, keeping opex costs within the yearly approved licencing constraints
- Maintain Visibility and awareness of ALL major data projects across the entire lifecycle
- Continuous involvement in ALL major data projects to audit but also to provide support and consultancy during Estimation, Planning, Design, development, testing
- Works closely, manages, guides and supports the 3rd Party Data Design team (onshore/offshore), to ensure that data architecture and design principles are followed
- Contributes, audits and reviews detailed data designs, data retention and security policies and to sign off project Functional Data Design documents where appropriate
- Supports the Data Development teams (onshore/offshore) to ensure the data architecture defined toolsets, data design and programing principles are followed, ensure standardisation of code around the already developed common programing components and that the automated Informatica, Abinitio and Unix SQL job control frameworks are used.
- Contributes to the Data Systems upgrade Road Map (hardware & software)
- Takes every project opportunity to anticipate the design of data models that are easily exploitable for Analytics and are easily consumed by the recognised front end client reporting tools
- Attends the weekly Enterprise Technology Review Boards to understand the impact on the data systems
- Attends regular 3rd Party data Design Review calls (onshore/offshore) to authorise the architecture and approve the proposed solution designs
- Attends industry events to keep with latest technology trends and developments
- Conduct POCs of new technologies and communicate with suppliers to evaluate products and technologies
- Defines/oversees Standardisation of automated reusable job control Frameworks
- Defines Data Quality standards as well at the selection and automation of the data quality frameworks
Are you right for the role?
So it’s the moment of truth, right? What are we looking for in the successful candidate?
Typical Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the VM data Estate for both Cable and Mobile systems
- Expertise or Good understanding of the VM database technologies
- Expertise or Good understanding of the VM ETL toolset
- Working Knowledge or Good Awareness of the VM client reporting tools
- Experience with Data Modelling Tools
- TOGAF Aware but Preferably Qualified
- Aware of the PRINCE project methodology but preferably Qualified
- Good awareness of new Technologies and Innovations
- Data Modelling tools ERWIN
- Experience of Data solutions across a range of industries and companies – ideally in a consultancy role
- We would be particularly interested in speaking to people who have consultancy experience, ideally in a big four consultancy. This is however none essential.
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global, the world’s biggest cable company. We are delivering the biggest investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade. Through four multi-award-winning services - Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV, Virgin Mobile and Virgin Phone - we help people access technology to build connections that really matter.
We are dedicated to nurturing an engaged workforce that represents the diversity of our customers and communities. Read more here.
Our benefits are your reward for being brilliant. They’re pretty darn spectacular. Just like our people. We’ve put together a package to help you love what you do, at work and at play. You will get 25 days holiday and your birthday off each year, we provide a company funded Medical Plan as well as a Pension Plan where we will match every pound you put in, up to 10%. What's more you'll also benefit from discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands and many other perks on top.
You can find out about all benefits in full here.
Come and be a part of something special. Join us!