Senior IP & Data Design Engineer
Birmingham -Eagle Court Coventry Road -C1700
Job Title: Senior IP & Data Design Engineer
Location: Birmingham Eagle Court
What is the job?
The Senior IP & Data Design Engineer works with a variety of Stakeholders across multiple divisions within Virgin Media in order to deliver effective, efficient and economic technical designs. This role will have a focus on IP and Data solutions and you will work to defined design principles and technical standards to produce both secure and resilient designs, documentation, implementation methodology and materials that comply with architecture, security and H&S standards.
What will you be doing?
As a Senior Engineer here at Virgin Media, no two days are the same. One day you will be creating high level design documentation for the core data network and the next producing the documents that will enable the successful implementation of these designs.
We are looking for someone that has had exposure to a broad range of IP and Data Technologies and be able to conform to the Virgin Media architectures & engineering standards, security requirements, topologies, management systems, processes and technical accommodation standards for room and rack design.[EJ1].
You will be involved in projects E2E, working closely with colleagues to produce and update documentation, taking ownership and be prepared to present technical solutions to stakeholders to demonstrate the design deliverables.
Lastly you will carry out QA work on designs produced by third party partners to ensure that customer requirements and our design principals are met.
Are you right for the role?
- As you would expect this role requires some specific technical skills for you to have in order to be successful in the role. These include:
- LANs, WANs, VPLS, QoS enabled networks and traffic management systems (e.g. DPI), TDM, xWDM and fibre optical network techniques.
- IP networks and protocols, including the setting up of MPLS paths, addressing schemes, BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, RIP.
- Knowledge and understanding of Ethernet, ATM, SDH/SONET, Frame Relay, Packet over SDH/SONET, WDM, wireless technologies,
- Access technologies (DSL, cable, and lease lines), Layer 3 Traffic Engineering and L2 Traffic Management. Require good knowledge of IPv6, F5, Cisco Nexus and the Cisco Firepower Firewall.
Some of following would also be beneficial:
- Knowledge of systems (routers, switches, firewalls, etc.) from key vendors such as Cisco, Juniper and Nokia.
- The ability to conceptualise and design complex network infrastructure to provide optical fibre and transmission capacity and customer solutions.
- A Professional accreditation such as IET, SCTE, IPEP or Vendor Certifications such as Cisco, CCDP/CCNP, Juniper, Nokia etc.
What to do know?
If this sounds like a great step in your career then click apply to send through your profile.
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global, the world’s biggest cable company. We are delivering the biggest investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade. Through four multi-award-winning services - Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV, Virgin Mobile and Virgin Phone - we help people access technology to build connections that really matter.
We are dedicated to nurturing an engaged workforce that represents the diversity of our customers and communities. Read more here.
Our benefits are your reward for being brilliant. They’re pretty darn spectacular. Just like our people. We’ve put together a package to help you love what you do, at work and at play. You will get 25 days holiday and your birthday off each year, we provide a company funded Medical Plan as well as a Pension Plan where we will match every pound you put in, up to 10%. What's more you'll also benefit from discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands and many other perks on top.
You can find out about all benefits in full here.
Come and be a part of something special. Join us!