Hemel Hempstead -Park Lane -C1800
Location: Hemel Hempstead
We are looking for a Lead Developer to join the Virgin Media Business team! This is a hugely important role in shaping our web portals providing applications for customers to manage and configure their network services, including corporate and public WiFi service for over 100 million customers across 120,000 UK hotel rooms, 32 airports, London Street and many more across the country. You’ll be working side by side with software testers, web developers, automation engineers and core network engineers.
You’ll be enthusiastic about modern methods for deployment management and platform delivery, with a pragmatic style and great analytical skills that help you identify and solve problems before our customers do. You will have a keen sense of architecture, security, resilience and performance that allows you to spot solutions that work and those that don’t. You’ll be continually learning and have an eye on the tech coming over the horizon.
What you’ll be doing
- Write clean, well structured and maintainable code with automated test coverage and corresponding documentation.
- Organise and facilitate daily stand-up and other scrum meetings to monitor project progress and resolve any issues the team may be experiencing.
- Ensure that all work follows approved methods and standards and conforms to agreed quality, is maintained under version control & configuration management including conducting code review, automated unit & integration testing and technical documentation.
- Be first point of contact within the team for any defects found as a result of testing, or in live ensuring swift resolution including out-of hours incident and deployment support.
- Lead estimation within the team to assess the timescale of development activity.
- Represent the development team at release planning, defect triage and retrospectives.
- Liaise with product owners, designers, architects, developers and testers to clarify requirements and contribute to design and direction of new products and features.
- Participate in impact analysis, and performance analysis and tuning.
- Work on improvements in development approach and toolset including static code analysis tools, continuous delivery pipeline, testing frameworks and infrastructure scripts. Lead the development of methods and standards.
- Act as delegate on absence of software development manager.
- Contribute to growing the team through recruitment and performance reviews.
- Provide technical leadership to teammates through coaching and mentorship.
- Explore latest new relevant technology, techniques, frameworks, tools, methodologies and processes.
- Maintain a secure working environment in line with the requirements of the Liberty Global Security Policy in order to protect individuals, information and assets.
So what are we looking for?
- Recent practical software development experience, including design, program build, testing/debugging and implementation of multi-user business applications using a relational database system.
- Recent knowledge and experience of developing in a PHP framework, ideally using MVC patterns and JQuery.
- Ability to work from design specifications and follow programming standards.
- Understanding of program flow and logic & OO design concepts.
- Experience with Scrum and Kanban methodologies.
- Theory and practice of quality control and assurance in relation to programming and design.
- Expertise with an application lifecycle management tool e.g. Jira and version control e.g. Git.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Systematic, logical approach to design and construction.
- Can provide clear, accurate and appropriate written documentation.
- Productive, with a can-do attitude.
- Ability to meet deadlines whilst staying focussed and keeping close attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both business and IT colleagues, including good written and spoken English language skills.
- Ability to translate complex technical issues into business language.
- Good influencing and negotiation skills, able to manage expectations.
- Organisation and planning skills to manage own work within constraints of team and project.
- Ability to work collaboratively but also act on own initiative.
- Keenness to learn new programming and technical skills.
- Interested in appropriate use of technology to solve business problems.
It would be great if you had experience in the following:
- Laravel and/or Lumen application development frameworks.
- ReactJS and/or Angular.
- MYSQL, BigQuery.
- implementing solutions on premise or in cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Java and/or Python.
- Kubernetes and/or terraform.
- development of mobile applications.
- Linux, Apache, NGINX, Tomcat.
- continuous delivery and DevOps tools and practices.
- team leadership, mentoring and/or coaching.
- Understanding and awareness of IT industry standards.
We are proud to work with Everywoman to champion the advancement of women in business, and through our partnership with Scope to help one million disabled people get into and stay in work by the end of 2020. We strive to build a diverse and sustainable workforce where gender balance and parity are integral features of our workplace, and where disabled candidates and employees can confidently perform to their full potential through our Work with Me adjustment process. If you are thinking about applying for a job with us and have a condition or impairment that could impact your performance we’ll be happy to work with you to explore adjustment options.
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global, the world’s biggest cable company. We are delivering the biggest investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade. Through four multi-award-winning services - Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV, Virgin Mobile and Virgin Phone - we help people access technology to build connections that really matter.
We are dedicated to nurturing an engaged workforce that represents the diversity of our customers and communities. Read more here.
Our benefits are your reward for being brilliant. They’re pretty darn spectacular. Just like our people. We’ve put together a package to help you love what you do, at work and at play. You will get 25 days holiday and your birthday off each year, we provide a company funded Medical Plan as well as a Pension Plan where we will match every pound you put in, up to 10%. What's more you'll also benefit from discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands and many other perks on top.
You can find out about all benefits in full here.
Come and be a part of something special. Join us!