Senior Legal Counsel - Construction
Hammersmith -Griffin House Hammersmith Road -C1770
Job: Senior Legal Counsel – Construction (Network Expansion)
Location: Hammersmith or Reading
Excellent Salary + Amazing Benefits
Virgin Media is currently on the lookout for a Senior Legal Counsel - Construction (Network Expansion) to join our Legal team in Hammersmith or Reading.
Please note we will relocate from our Hook office to Green Park, Reading, in December 2019
What’s the purpose of this role?
The Senior Legal Counsel – Construction (Network Expansion) is a senior member of the legal department, accountable for legal matters relating to Virgin Media’s network expansion and build activities and plays a key role in shaping and supporting build strategy and the delivery of key network expansion initiatives.
Virgin Media are delivering the biggest private investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade, with a huge programme to extend our ultrafast broadband network to 17 million homes and businesses. We’re looking for an experienced construction lawyer to be a part of this journey.
What does the role entail?
Your duties will be wide-ranging, but ultimately you will be responsible for providing commercially focused, accurate, effective and timely legal advice, analysis and support to the business on a broad range of complex legal matters, including:
- Network expansion and partner construction contracts, appointments for structural property works, commercial contracts to secure wayleaves and other build related agreements.
- Driving effective execution of major projects, identifying risk, recommending mitigation and implementing solutions, with primary responsibility for ensuring key strategic deliverables are met in relation to Virgin Media’s network expansion and build activities.
- To be proactive and adept at engaging across functions, whilst providing best in class divisional legal business partnering to senior divisional stakeholders and EC (board) members.
- Providing legal advice, analysis and counsel in relation to industry best practice and effective structures to manage legal and regulatory risk.
- Advising on any disputes arising in relation to construction contracts.
- Advising on Health and Safety Law.
- Support other areas when necessary, picking up complex deals on an as needed basis.
- Manage and liaise with external legal resources to achieve relevant goals within budget, managing external spend.
Everyone in our Legal team has an enthusiastic approach to work, with a keen eye for detail and the ability to deliver to deadlines. If you join us as a Senior Legal Counsel we would want you to:
- Lead by example:
- developing standards and practices for the business functional area
- proactively progresses matters to a conclusion through efficient and effective planning and management to meet competing demands - managing allocation of resource and effective workflow, actively working alongside team members
- Be diplomatic and highly articulate: able to analyse complex legal and commercial issues, develop strategies and communicate points constructively and succinctly. You should have proven discretion and ability to deal with sensitive issues and to influence at relevant levels
- Find a solution! Be a pro-active and self-sufficient problem solver who is willing to pro-actively find legal and commercial solutions to complex legal and commercial issues and present them succinctly to Legal Directors/Heads of Legal and stakeholders
- Have strong commercial acumen
- Recognised as a dynamic and pro-active operator, proficient at handling multiple material matters and managing senior stakeholders
- Be a can-do individual with understanding of the industry and key issues facing our business, together with the ability and creditability to form effective ‘client’ relationships across appropriate management levels
- Strong moral/ethical convictions
- Have the ability to share knowledge and expertise with others
Where does this role sit within Virgin Media?
This role is part of our award winning Legal team reporting to the Legal Director- Lightning, Field and Infrastructure. We are relationship focussed people and our aim is to partner with the business to drive, promote and embrace important and impactful organisational growth.
Is this role right for you?
As the right candidate for the role of Senior Legal Counsel- Construction (Network Expansion) you will have the following:
- Recognised Legal expert in Construction law and infrastructure projects (ideally in telecoms industry or other comparable sectors, e.g. utilities) with proven track record of execution in leading significant, high profile related matters in commercial contracts. Excellent working knowledge of NEC4 and JCT contract suites.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Law.
- Good working knowledge of wayleaves
- Excellent drafting skills and ability to analyse complex legal and commercial issues.
- Strong project management skills.
- Self-sufficient and proactivewith sound business acumen, demonstrating ability to understand the core business issues and challenges.
- Degree level education / relevant professional qualifications.
- Highly experienced lawyer who has a track record of working either at senior level in a highly commercial environment or private legal practice.
This is fantastic opportunity for you to work as part of our fast paced, dynamic in-house Legal team. In return we will offer you the opportunity for training and development to help you lead and develop your career in the direction you want to. You will receive structured reviews with a focus on what you are looking to achieve.
Join and you’ll be part of the Virgin Media family. We’re a great place to work – and we offer impressive benefits too! You will get a generous holiday allowance, contributory pension, discretionary performance related bonus and, of course, discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands!
Other great information
We’ve recently launched our new Purpose & Values – something that really matters to us and will give you a real insight into how we embrace our values in all that we do!
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global, the world’s biggest cable company. We are delivering the biggest investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade. Through four multi-award-winning services - Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV, Virgin Mobile and Virgin Phone - we help people access technology to build connections that really matter.
We are dedicated to nurturing an engaged workforce that represents the diversity of our customers and communities. Read more here.
Our benefits are your reward for being brilliant. They’re pretty darn spectacular. Just like our people. We’ve put together a package to help you love what you do, at work and at play. You will get 25 days holiday and your birthday off each year, we provide a company funded Medical Plan as well as a Pension Plan where we will match every pound you put in, up to 10%. What's more you'll also benefit from discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands and many other perks on top.
You can find out about all benefits in full here.
Come and be a part of something special. Join us!