Activate Senior Provisioning Engineer
Peterborough -Elmstead Orton Southgate -C1790
Location: Orton Southgate
We are looking for a Senior Provisioning Engineer to join our Virgin Media Business team (VMB). This role plays a hugely important part in the design, plan and implementation of IPVPN solutions for our customers.
You’ll also configure large complex network changes as requested by our customers, so you should feel comfortable in being able to commission and provision our in house WDM systems and carry out these duties in our TDM network too. You’ll be an excellent communicator, experienced in a customer centric environment and always have an eye on how to improve the delivery of service to the business. It’ll keep you busy!
What you’ll be doing
- Understand both VMB's infrastructure as well as the customer's, making recommendations on diversity, redundancy and scalability
- Work with project coordinators / managers and 3rd party vendors as well as utilizing our on-net infrastructure, to build, provision and upgrade circuits on a variety of bearer types, such as Ethernet, FTTC, International, 3G and ADSL
- Prepare and apply configurations to be rolled out on our Provider Edge routers, Alcatel layer 2 switches (NTU) and customer’s Cisco routers.
- Configuration of Interconnecting / Metnet devices to allow connectivity across the VMB MPLS.
- Adhering to our architecture guidelines and customer requirements undertake end-to-end testing, ensuring all provisions meet our SLA's, before handing over the circuits to management for alarm monitoring
- Work with customers to troubleshoot issues out of their LAN and across the MPLS and Managed Internet Access.
- Make changes on in-life services, considering the impact of the change and any possible outage caused, ensuring the local change control process is followed with all relevant stakeholders updated.
- Produce and update documentation on customer networks as and when required.
- Be the technical lead on major projects, attend technical customer meetings and give presentations.
- Supporting and up-skilling of non-senior engineers.
- Be able to configure Alcatel layer2 equipment using both vender specific onboarding tools such as Alcatel SAM and understand the complexity of switched network traffic and how this influences the completion of layer 3 routed traffic.
- Be able to configure Cisco Layer 3 equipment using both advanced command line configuration and vender specific onboarding tools such as IPSA and how this configuration influences the wider layer 3 solutions such as IPVPN or Managed Internet services.
- Be part of an on call rota providing out of hours provisioning and change management of large complex layer 2 and layer 3 customer networks that are time sensitive around managed service interruption.
- Produce and update documentation on customer networks including device configuration and peer review process
- To be able to logically provision and commission on our WDM and TDM platforms from simple to complex build, and to be able to work out of hours alone.
So what are we looking for?
- A thorough knowledge of telecommunication standards and best practices within a technical provisioning role.
- Routing protocols and technologies, to include, but not limited to, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, NAT, DHCP, MPLS, DMVPN, VRF-lite, IPSEC and GRE tunneling. A detailed and in depth knowledge of Quality of Service both 2 tier and 3 tier.
- Configuration of Cisco 877, 887, 1841, 1921, 2951, 3945 and ASR model routers and all legacy devices that remain on a customer network.
- Configuring Alcatel 6250 / 6850 switches, adding NNI and UNI services, creating interfaces to test across the layer 3 and changing port settings.
- Advanced knowledge of circuit provisioning, testing and troubleshooting.
- Good knowledge of TDM and WDM technologies used by Virgin Media.
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global, the world’s biggest cable company. We are delivering the biggest investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade. Through four multi-award-winning services - Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV, Virgin Mobile and Virgin Phone - we help people access technology to build connections that really matter.
We are dedicated to nurturing an engaged workforce that represents the diversity of our customers and communities. Read more here.
Our benefits are your reward for being brilliant. They’re pretty darn spectacular. Just like our people. We’ve put together a package to help you love what you do, at work and at play. You will get 25 days holiday and your birthday off each year, we provide a company funded Medical Plan as well as a Pension Plan where we will match every pound you put in, up to 10%. What's more you'll also benefit from discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands and many other perks on top.
You can find out about all benefits in full here.
Come and be a part of something special. Join us!