Senior Security Engineer
Peterborough -Elmstead Orton Southgate -C1790
Location: Orton Southgate
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global plc, the world’s largest international cable company, with 27 million customers across 14 countries. Within Liberty Global plc, Virgin Media Business is set on becoming the most recommended B2B solutions provider in the UK with key aspirations in the Cyber Security marketplace.
As a Senior Security Engineer, it will be your responsibility to protect & maintain the confidentiality, integrity plus availability of our security portfolio’s informational assets and systems.
The Security Operations team effectively delivers through the understanding, provision of guidance and monitoring, related to regulation, legislation, international standards and industry best practice for information security.
You will apply these practices on a daily basis through implementation of customer demands on various security appliances in a timely manner.
Working alongside our Pre-sales and Design teams, customer interaction both internal and external is a key part in both the understanding of requirements and the stringent security practices that need to be put in place.
Given the complex nature of Cyber Security and the widespread uses, imparting that knowledge and working practices to all parties will help drive Virgin Media forward into the forefront of the Security world.
You will be expected to work in a secure environment and deal with some of our more confidential customers who may require PSN-P (IL3) implementations. This will require you to go through a higher level of security clearance than normal employee at Virgin Media and therefor expected to attain a NPPV3 + SC.
What you'll be doing
- Implementation of Complex Business solutions containing various security elements, including Palo Alto / Cisco / F5 / Juniper.
- In-life support of a vast Security portfolio including any day to day changes as requested by the customer.
- In conjunction with Business Operations, own until resolution complex technical problems, making timely decisions for Virgin Media Business to resolve these issues.
- Respond to security incidents and breaches, conduct investigations, report results and recommend mitigation strategies
- Develop, implement and monitor security policies and security controls in accordance with recognized best practice and in line with ISO27001 and IL3
- Provide subject matter expertise to various parts of the business to ensure information security is embedded appropriately
- Identify security technologies and approaches; evaluate their value; make appropriate recommendations to customers and the business to help them make informed strategic decisions
- Review of live customer network designs for efficiency and resilience where deemed appropriate
- Maintain an excellent working relationship with Design and Pre-sales community to help support customer needs for bespoke requirements.
- Have the ability to move between security environments with ease to maintain our PSN-P (Il3) realm.
- Part of 24*7 on call rota as decided between Principal engineer and yourself.
- Work with various stake holders to do UAT of both hardware and releases of operating systems to maintain the integrity of the security Estate.
- Business Operations – faults
- Data Services
- Sales, Pre-sales and Design
- Transformation, T&I (architecture, IT, networks and engineering) Ops, Service Management
What we're looking for
- Proven experience in technical security issues with experience working in Security realm
- Highly motivated with pace, energy and strong personal impact in a small dedicated team
- Highly effective analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with proven ability to quickly absorb technical concepts and effectively communicate them to a non-technical audience.
- Experience of working with the principles and controls surrounding ISO 27001, HMG SPF, 2-2-4
- Good understanding of principles of risk management Ability to deliver information security with a pragmatic business driven approach
- In depth knowledge of associated technical systems, security architecture technologies and associated penetration testing and security event management methodologies
- Ability to undertake evaluation/ analysis in a highly complex and fluid environment, make judgements and give clear and concise advice.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of LAN/WAN hardening, cryptography and key management, secure access methods, principles of network security and experience in using security based monitoring technologies
- Implementation of Security rulesets and configuration on Next Generation firewalls ( Palo Alto – VMB Market Leader Vendor of choice )
- Understanding of other marking leading technologies and product ranges outside that of Palo alto ( Cisco / Juniper )
- Attention to detail and the ability to manage technical issues (whether from a design, provisioning, testing or faulting perspective) to resolution, concise Troubleshooting techniques.
- Dedication to support a 24*7 on call environment, to facilitate changes and faults as required.
- Academic Qualifications should include GCSE including Mathematics, English and Science/Technology or equivalent
- CCNA/CCNP or equivalent industry experience
- Palo Alto ( Ace required – PCNSE preferred)
- A good understanding and preferably hands on experience of using the Palo Alto portfolio
- Cisco Security Certification ( CISSP/ CCSP / Cyber Security / Cyber Ops preferred)
- Overall Telecommunications skills to enable the employee to pick up any type of problem. The employee will have experience in LAN / WAN environments and Protocol Analysers across a wide range of protocols, Applications and Operating Systems and will have the ability to define and capability to understand complex problems.
- To be highly conversant with current and future technologies
- A basic understanding of Cisco, Juniper, Pulse SA, F5 LTM and other Supplier Technologies and product ranges would be beneficial.
- Must be an excellent communicator with good presentation & communication (written and oral) skills and experience.
- Any work with crypto certification, PKI environments and the usage of IPSEC.
- Experience / appreciation of corporate / public customer issues (working in customer focused environment) ie good customer service skills
- Excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Knowledge of 2 factor authentication such as Safenet / Radius
- Understanding of protocols, eg HTTP/ HTTPS / TCP / IP / IPSEC / UDP
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global, the world’s biggest cable company. We are delivering the biggest investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade. Through four multi-award-winning services - Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV, Virgin Mobile and Virgin Phone - we help people access technology to build connections that really matter.
We are dedicated to nurturing an engaged workforce that represents the diversity of our customers and communities. Read more here.
Our benefits are your reward for being brilliant. They’re pretty darn spectacular. Just like our people. We’ve put together a package to help you love what you do, at work and at play. You will get 25 days holiday and your birthday off each year, we provide a company funded Medical Plan as well as a Pension Plan where we will match every pound you put in, up to 10%. What's more you'll also benefit from discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands and many other perks on top.
You can find out about all benefits in full here.
Come and be a part of something special. Join us!