Solution Architect (Data)
Bellshill -Dove Wynd Strathclyde Business Park -C0620
Our Solutions Architect is the technical single point of contact for customer requirements, through design, installation and to the point of their first bill. They work with Pre Sales on a customer opportunity, or may, in some instances be directly customer facing with the Sales representative. In this role the Solution Architect will focus on developing end-to-end solutions for our largest and most complex sales opportunities.
The Solutions Architect acts as an interface between VMB and the rest of the VM organisation, leading the technical solution, documenting and agreeing customer designs and process considerations, collating costs and assessing the technical risk on a per project basis. Other responsibilities include supporting product management, engaging with vendors and supporting with business-wide change initiatives as required.
- Develop technical solutions that meet the business requirements of target customers, and win significant opportunities that deliver associated revenue streams into VMB. The Solutions Architect will interface directly with the customer where Pre Sales are not engaged, therefore customer facing skills are critical.
- Engage with technical teams, business influencers, and decision makers in the most valuable prospects providing technical leadership. Working closely with the customer to achieve a compelling proposition and provide complete confidence in our technical capability. Ensuring that the customer’s view of VMB and SA is one of a trusted technical advisor.
- Where Pre Sales aren’t involved, ensure that all customer opportunities are effectively qualified prior to committing Virgin Media or Partner resources. Excellent negotiation skills to ensure Sales and all stakeholders understand the rationale and reasoning for any decisions/recommendations.
- Produce the most cost effective and commercially competitive solutions, and own applicable cost models for the end to end solution, actively engaging with the wider VM group and/or partners.
- Developing and documenting the solution design and drawing on relevant resources from around the business where required to deliver the customer’s requirements. Liaising with all relevant supplier groups and partners to gain full sign off from a technical and operational signoff perspective. Where acting as the customer interface this will include ownership of the customer technical documentation.
- Signoff of any deployed solution to ensure that it matches the design signed off at SDR and thus contractually agreeable with the customer. Acting as the first point of contact during delivery if any installation changes to the design or clarifications are required. Responding to these in a timely manner.
- Performing an initial impact analysis of any change. These should be approved based on the appropriate level of authority, and be approved, rejected or escalated based on predefined rules. Where necessary working with the In-life Contract Manager or Commercial Deals Manager to ensure any commercial implications are fully understood and approved.
- Responsible for gaining sign off, should the design be altered significantly. This includes ensuring the commercial elements are covered with the appropriate team. Ensuring the signed-off installation meets the requirements of the initial design including any resulting change requests.
- Interfacing to Product teams to ensure that the Voice of the Customer is reflected in all product developments, and to act as SME for product developments where required. Participating in Product interlock/specialisms as defined.
- Follow all applicable processes and ensure feedback is both provided and acted upon to enable continuous improvement of processes and designs. Drive through any process improvements to conclusion.
Required key skills (functional / technical)
- Communication skills: first class ability to understand and present complex technical solutions, to technical and non-technical audiences, drawing out commercial benefits and matching solutions to customer requirements.
- Excellent customer facing skills.
- Strong commercial understanding, to interact with customers and Finance to ensure benefits of technical solutions for customers and profitability for Virgin Media are optimal.
- Full understanding of Virgin Media Business in-house and partner capabilities applicable to specialism and “generic” solutions.
- Awareness of emerging technologies and how they strategically fit with Virgin Media’s commercial strategy and the goals of its customers.
- Understanding of all products and services offered by Virgin Media Businesses to ensure tight integration of solutions, and identification of additional opportunities.
- Ability to handle all tiers of opportunity.
- Knowledge and experience in orchestration of multi-technology solutions in large or complex deal scenarios and in developing managed service solutions
- Knowledge and experience with networking technologies in the IT, telecoms or SI industry.
- Strong experience across a Data (L1/L2/L3) and Voice (legacy and new) technologies.
- Strong knowledge of Optical and Ethernet networking.
- Knowledge and experience of the Information Security requirements of our customers.
- Experience in responding to complex, high value, major bids based on applicable technologies and solutions is essential.
- Strong experience in a customer facing, solution positioning, Pre Sales environment is essential.
- Education to degree level in a technical subject is preferred.
- A sound working knowledge of business procedure and processes. Experience in leading multi-disciplined virtual teams.
- Flexibility to handle extensive UK travel and overnight stays. Flexibility is needed over start and end times to support, for example, customer issues or proposal deadlines.
“We are proud to work with Everywoman to champion the advancement of women in business, and through our partnership with Scope to help one million disabled people get into and stay in work by the end of 2020. We strive to build a diverse and sustainable workforce where gender balance and parity are integral features of our workplace, and where disabled candidates and employees can confidently perform to their full potential through our Work with Me adjustment process. If you are thinking about applying for a job with us and have a condition or impairment that could impact your performance we’ll be happy to work with you to explore adjustment options.
Consideration will also be given to applications made for part-time or flexible working hours.”
Join and you’ll be part of the Virgin Media family. We’re a great place to work – and we offer impressive benefits too! You will get a generous holiday allowance, contributory pension, and of course discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands! Come and be part of something special. Join us!
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global, the world’s biggest cable company. We are delivering the biggest investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade. Through four multi-award-winning services - Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV, Virgin Mobile and Virgin Phone - we help people access technology to build connections that really matter.
We are dedicated to nurturing an engaged workforce that represents the diversity of our customers and communities. Read more here.
Our benefits are your reward for being brilliant. They’re pretty darn spectacular. Just like our people. We’ve put together a package to help you love what you do, at work and at play. You will get 25 days holiday and your birthday off each year, we provide a company funded Medical Plan as well as a Pension Plan where we will match every pound you put in, up to 10%. What's more you'll also benefit from discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands and many other perks on top.
You can find out about all benefits in full here.
Come and be a part of something special. Join us!