TV Product Development Manager
Hammersmith -Griffin House Hammersmith Road -C1770
Salary: Competitive Salary + bonus and benefits
TV Product Development Manager
Location: Hammersmith, London- W68BS
Salary: Competitive + bonus and great benefits
Now is a great time to Join Virgin Media as a TV Product Development Manager based in Hammersmith within our Consumer division you will be responsible for the development of new and exisiting set top box application
and application related product features from idea through to delivery for Virgin Media’s Digital Entertainment product portfolio (which includes TiVo and future TV products)
This role will work closely with a number of other functions to document requirements, support the prioritisation of requirements and lead/drive activity across a broad set of partners and stakeholders to deliver the final product. The Product Development Manager’s job also includes ensuring that the product supports the stakeholder’s and business strategy and goals. A wide degree of business, technical and design experience is required, and a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected. The role is focused specifically on Product Development vs in-life management or Commercial management and the Product Development Manager will work closely with the Digital Entertainment Product Management team to ensure new applications and features are handed over for the successful ‘in-life’ operation of the product.
- Own, define and refine the Application development process and key online resources
- Gate Application development dependent on budget, testing resource availability, contractual obligations and technical status
- Act as the main point of contact for 3rd party during development phases and hand-hold them through delivery
- Maintain a constant requirements backlog and clear prioritisation based on business steer
- Plan development timescales with the Project Manager and aid in the monitoring of resource budgets
- Deliver application development and lead integration with internal and external teams
- Ongoing technical support for applications post-implementation including regular Content Provider meetings
- Liaise with TiVo where their support is needed and ensure any TiVo development work required is fully defined and delivered
- Manage defect prioritisation and resolution with business and testing teams
- Provide regular development status reports and attend applications Executive Steering Groups
- Maintain awareness of advancements in the TV applications product space, new and emerging features, competitive movements and upcoming launches.
- Act as a product evangelist within the company
- Product Management within Digital Entertainment
- Content Team within Digital Entertainment
- Product Operations within Digital Entertainment
- IT, Technology and Testing teams
- TV Engineering
- Liberty Global Product Team
- 3rd Party Content Providers
- 3rd party Application developers and testers
Required critical behaviours
- You will be innovative, diligent, flexible, work to deadlines which may not fit with a standard day, credible at presenting to senior board level executives and be committed to making Digital Entertainment products best in class.
- You will be able to operate in a matrix environment, managing multiple stakeholders across multiple internal teams and external 3rd parties. You will be able to form strong collaborative relationships and agree roles and responsibilities quickly and effectively.
- You are able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into their component parts. Can explore and evaluate them systematically, can identify causal relationships and construct frameworks for problem solving and/or development.
- You are decisive and challenging and willing to challenge the status quo.
- Excellent time management skills with attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- Ability to thrive in a constantly changing environment and work effectively under pressure
- Can deliver multiple strands of a project on time
- Creative thinker
Essential Knowledge, Experience and Skills
Required key skills (functional / technical)
- Solid understanding of digital devices and products including TV and/or online/mobile
- A background in TV (either through a platform, a broadcaster or Applications developer) is essential; you will have experience in understanding the capabilities and limitations of developing an experience on a TV platform and a grasp of end-to-end video delivery.
- You will have a good understanding of video and broadcast/delivery quality; understand content requirements, its lifecycle and how it should be organized and promoted on a pay TV platform.
- You will be able to demonstrate awareness of usability requirements on a TV platform, and have experience in implementing usability best practice.
- A good balance of technical knowledge and user experience is preferred. Whilst not directly responsible for implementing UX, this role is expected to understand how to deliver an optimal experience and be able to challenge application owners when appropriate.
- Ideally (but not critical) you will have experience in developing set top box software and have a deep understanding of the technologies and capabilities on these type of consumer platforms is key that you have experience of developing.
- You will bring a strong working knowledge of end-to-end cross platform delivery and be a confident decision maker with an organised, logical, structured thinking process. To be successful you will have the ability to direct activity and show excellent people management skills. It is important you have experience in identifying customer needs and be able to translate this into the definition and development of new products and features.
- It is vital to this role that you have a clear understanding of how to succeed with our current products - in both commercial & customer satisfaction stakes.
- You will have very strong product development experience within the TV space, and quickly earn respect with peers through demonstration of your understanding in this space.
- Degree (or equivalent) qualified – preferably in a technology field – or with equivalent industry experience (TV Application development or Pay TV is a must)
- Substantial professional experience in TV Application development, Pay TV, Broadcast or other relevant TV space
- Strong understanding of emerging technologies and how they are changing the way people consume television
- Excellent workflow management skills and ability to deliver projects on time
- Experience in delivering large and complex TV projects and programmes
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues and tasks to a non-technical audiences
- Ability to manage real and virtual teams to deliver agreed objectives
- Experience of 3rd party vendor management
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global, the world’s biggest cable company. We are delivering the biggest investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade. Through four multi-award-winning services - Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV, Virgin Mobile and Virgin Phone - we help people access technology to build connections that really matter.
We are dedicated to nurturing an engaged workforce that represents the diversity of our customers and communities. Read more here.
Our benefits are your reward for being brilliant. They’re pretty darn spectacular. Just like our people. We’ve put together a package to help you love what you do, at work and at play. You will get 25 days holiday and your birthday off each year, we provide a company funded Medical Plan as well as a Pension Plan where we will match every pound you put in, up to 10%. What's more you'll also benefit from discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands and many other perks on top.
You can find out about all benefits in full here.
Come and be a part of something special. Join us!