Technology & Innovation
Is your mind hardwired towards technology and creating innovative ideas that could change the game when it comes to connecting people across Europe?
We’re virtually obsessed with delivering transformational products and services that will help improve the digital lives of our customers. That’s why technology and innovation are at the core of our groundbreaking telecommunications business.
Join us, on the Virgin Media Technology & Innovation graduate scheme, and you can become one of the innovators in this dynamic, free-thinking and fun-loving environment, as you pursue a fast-track career as part of one of the world’s leading converged video, broadband and communication companies
What’s it all about?
Over the course of the two-year scheme, you’ll rotate through four six-month placements, blazing a trail through our organisation and gaining end-to-end exposure in different facets of our finely tuned operation, while developing a wider understanding of what makes us Liberty Global and contributing to our continuing success.
From day one, you’ll gather detailed engineering skills and a deep understanding of a wide range of business areas covering TV, broadband, mobile and fixed voice communications. You may even get the opportunity to be involved in Project Lightning, which is currently super charging the UK’s digital infrastructure with the country’s fastest available broadband speed!
Here are just some of the things you could be involved in:
- Delivery and Project Management
- Technology Architecture and Testing
- IP & Optical Network Engineering
- Network Operations
- Mobile Network & Operations
- Supply Chain
- Tech Ventures
- Capital and Performance Management
- Video Engineering
- Network Capacity Planning
- Customer Equipment
- Data Modelling & Analytics
“There’s always something new to work on, and new technologies to integrate into our products, which is really fun!”
Sophie, Technology and Innovation graduate
How are you going to get there?
We want graduates who are insatiably curious and devils for detail, with the confidence to share their thoughts and even challenge the ways we work. You must have a 2:1 degree or above in a STEM-based discipline and be able to speak fluent English. You also need all the qualities we look for in our next generation of leaders. That means being a:
- Co-creator who can develop and execute strategies
- Entrepreneur who is relentlessly driven to achieve results
- Innovator who strives to meet our customers’ future needs
- Collaborator who can come up with ideas that inspire and influence our senior leaders
- Inspirational leader with outstanding communication, organisational and analytical skills
It’s most likely that you’ll be based in Reading or Birmingham (depending on business needs), although there are also potential opportunities to experience exciting international cities such as Amsterdam! And, with placements at our offices across the country, you’ll need to be flexible about your location as well. So, don’t forget your toothbrush and be prepared to travel and relocate according to the demands of the business.
So, what can we do for you?
We’ll give you a rock-solid grounding in the business that will bolster your career for years to come. Our placements provide first-hand experience and on-the-job training – and, if you’re up for it, we’ll help you achieve professional registration with IEng to become a chartered engineer. You’ll also have the opportunity to collaborate with like-minded colleagues across Europe and even visit some different countries too.
If you’d like to join our talented designers, engineers and architects and become responsible for developing ground-breaking products, amazing apps used by millions and, of course, some of the fastest broadband speeds on the planet, why not apply now.
Duration: 2 years
Salary: £30K + £2K welcome bonus + amazing benefits
Locations: Reading, Birmingham and Amsterdam
Assessment Centre date: 17th December 2019
Applications for our 2020 Technology & Innovation Graduate Scheme are now closed. Make sure you’re following our social channels below to find out when you can register your interest for our 2021 graduate programmes.
Still want to know more?
- Meet Michael , Adam, Sophie and Sam – as they tell us all about their placements on the Technology & Innovation graduate scheme
- What’s it like being a graduate Engineer at Virgin Media? We asked Sophie to fill us in…check out her interview here
- Find out more about Sarah’s experience on the Technology & Innovation graduate scheme here
- Meet Alex – he’s on his first Technology & Innovation graduate scheme placement!
- Get social: @VirginMediaJobs #VMFutureCareers, or check us out on Instagram: @VMFutureCareers
- Meet some of our current graduates
- Check out our future careers blog
- Learn more about training and support here at Virgin Media