Technical Lead (Digital Tech)London
Time TypeFull time
Area of BusinessCyber Security
LocationHammersmith - Griffin House Hammersmith Road
Job ID 00032166
About the role
Please note this is a hybrid position so we are interested in hearing from applicants who can consider either Central London, Reading, Hammersmith, Birmingham, or Manchester as a base location for one day a week
We are looking for an experienced Technical Lead who will lead a technical team delivering digital products.
In this role, you will be the Leading Engineer in an Agile squad(s), ultimately responsible for the engineering quality, design, implementation, and operation of your product.
You will predominantly be working on defining analysing business needs, creating solution designs, hands-on development & leading one or more teams of Engineers. You will also be working with Business Partners, Senior Stake
Holders, Data Scientists, and UX Designers to design, implement, test, deliver, document, and maintain complex applications, tools, systems, and services.
You will work with product managers in analysing business metrics and functional requirements and translating them into robust and scalable technical solutions. You will also work with cutting-edge technologies and processes to develop well-rounded skills such as data analysis, leadership, and effective program management.
What will you be doing?
You will have significant input into user experience design and will set the technical strategy for your team, creating architecture, and solving problems for the long-term business through best practice approaches to operational excellence, rapid time-to-market delivery, and a frugal total cost of ownership.
In this position you will be responsible for:
40% Solution design & hands-on development, 20% team leadership and mentoring, 20% representing the squad to the wider business of VM02, 20% technical interaction with senior business stakeholders.
You will own the process as well as be hands-on with the full development lifecycle of a system from insight and design through development, review, testing, integration, deployment, and operations.
You will have a deep understanding of the business drivers that make your products and services successful and how your software contributes to that success. You use this understanding to influence product decisions and to make delivery trade-offs that maximise customer value.
You will diagnose, mitigate and root cause live issues on production solutions and are responsible for their uptime and reliability. You will also drive successful delivery of the team’s product across the Virgin Media organisation and with external partners to design solutions, coordinate development, identify and resolve issues and arbitrate disputes.
The Technical lead will drive constant improvement in best practices, design, and innovation across multiple teams within your organisation and participate in projects that involve multiple teams within your area of the Digital org and that address issues outside your normal areas of responsibility or expertise.
The key must-haves for this position are:
- Solid experience in creating and designing solution architectures that adhere to architecture roadmaps
- Solid development experience with building distributed applications, preferably using Node.js/Typescript, GCP services, Kubernetes. Must have worked in a micro-services architecture.
- Experience in headless CMS
- Experience in DevOps and working with DevOps tooling, (GCP certified would be great to see)
- Experience in defining specifications for micro-services and service orchestration and building microservices using serverless architectures.
What we are also looking for:
- Proven experience of leadership in coaching and mentoring Software Engineers and Test Engineers
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, and describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy.
- Experience with building large scale consumer-facing applications
- Recent experience in developing high-quality software using agile techniques such as TDD – (test-driven development)
What's in it for you?
We know that benefits mean so much more than the 'stuff' we can give you, so we offer a wide range of support, rewards, and tools - all passionate about helping you to prioritise what really matters.
All work and no play just isn't our style! We're already planning our future ways of working, for when life becomes a little more normal again. We're constantly evolving our approach to enable you to find a great work-life balance.
If you go on to be successful in your application, some of the many benefits include:
- 25 days' annual leave, plus UK bank holidays.
- 15% Annual company bonus
- A defined contribution pension scheme, run by Fidelity, matched up to 10%.
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as the Unmind App, personal medical cover (which you can opt to upgrade to cover loved ones), and critical illness cover.
- Your birthday off every year, to treat yourself.
- The option to buy and sell up to 5 days' leave, to suit your personal needs.
If you think you've got some amazing skills to offer us, and Virgin Media feels like a place where you can belong, we'd love to learn more about you. Once you've submitted an application the next steps of the process, if successful, are likely to include 1-2 rounds of interviews.
When you apply, you'll be asked about any adjustments you might need to support the recruitment process. Let us know, and we'll be sure to discuss it with you.
Thanks for your patience in the meantime and for showing an interest in joining the Virgin Media family.