Principal Network EngineerReading
Time TypeFull time
Area of BusinessOperations
LocationReading - Green Park, Brook Drive
Job ID 00025509
About the role
As a Principal Network Engineer, you'll work as part of a high profile and functioning team where you will work with both data and systems support colleagues to provide a complete end to end support function within Virgin Media.
So that's what you'll get up to, but what about us?
Well, we're super proud of our history, helping communities to stay connected with oodles of top-notch products and services. We offer the full works – broadband, TV, mobile and landline – equipping our customers out with the very latest tech.
But it's not just what we do, but why we do it that really matters.
Our mission is to become the most recommended brand, by our people and our customers. A massive part of that journey is about how we ensure that our forward-thinking people have a working environment in which they can truly belong and thrive. For us, it's critical that every single person can bring, and be, their whole selves at work, and we're working hard every day to achieve this.
Tell me more, tell me more…
As a valued member of our Network business area it's your job to support our consumer and business through IP (Internet Protocols) aggregation, core, backbone and interconnect - this also includes the Data Centre (firewall, load balancing and switching).
The must haves:
- We would love you to be comfortable in a multi-vendor, multi-protocol, ISP (Internet Service provider) environment
- Knowledge and demonstrable experience in supporting carrier/enterprise grade network infrastructures such as Juniper, Nokia and Cisco
- To bring with you an in-depth understanding of the network fundamentals for example TCP/IP (Internet Protocol Suite), Routing and Switching
- A consistent track record of troubleshooting, problem solving and problem resolution
Other stuff we're looking for:
- It would be great for you to have a people focused approach with good communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to adapt to technical and non-technical audiences
- Validated experience working with Data Centres (firewall, load balancing and switching)
- Must be eligible for NPPV3 and SC clearance
What's in it for you?
We know that benefits mean so much more than the 'stuff' we can give you, so we offer a wide range of support, rewards and tools - all focused on helping you to prioritise what really matters.
All work and no play just isn't our style! We're already planning our future ways of working, for when life becomes a little more normal again. We're constantly evolving our approach to enable you to find a great work life balance.
If you go on to be successful in your application, some of the many benefits include:
- 25 days' annual leave, plus UK bank holidays.
- A defined contribution pension scheme, run by Fidelity, matched up to 10%.
- An annual bonus of up to 15%, based on company performance
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as the Unmind App, personal medical cover (which you can opt to upgrade to cover loved ones) and critical illness cover.
- Your birthday off every year, to treat yourself.
- The option to buy and sell up to 5 days leave, to suit your personal needs.
If you think you've got some amazing skills to offer us, and Virgin Media feels like a place where you can belong, we'd love to learn more about you. Once you've submitted an application the next steps of the process, if successful, are likely to include a technical interview to gauge the level of experience you have, followed by a competency based interviewed.
When you apply, you'll be asked about any adjustments you might need to support the recruitment process. Let us know, and we'll be sure to discuss it with you.
Thanks for your patience in the meantime and for showing an interest in joining the Virgin Media family.