Principal Network Engineer
Time TypeFull time
Salary£55,000 - £60,000
Area of BusinessOperations
LocationReading -Green Park, Brook Drive
Job ID 00016510
About the role
Package: £55,000 - £60,000 + 15% bonus potential
What is the job?
As we enter one of the most exciting times in our history we are seeking an experienced Principal Network Engineer to join our UK Operations team supporting our CTIO UK functions. We are looking for someone that oozes our Virgin values and embraces the on-going ways of working within Liberty Global.
Our Technology, Information and Operation function really is the force behind Virgin Media. Without these super people we wouldn’t have the latest technology in place to constantly challenge our competitors and continue taking the UK market by storm.
The Operations team are the custodians of the technology services across Virgin Media. They are the Engine Room and without them the lights wouldn’t stay on. There are a number of verticals sitting in Operations with each one taking ownership of an area to ensure that it continues to deliver and evolve, embracing the latest technologies to do so.
This role sits within our Core Infrastructure Support team which is a multi-disciplinary team within Operations, responsible for providing a tertiary support function for the platforms within our control.
No two days in Operations are the same, sometimes we’ll be working on quick, immediate solutions, as others we’ll be driving the Strategic Strategy for our IT in both the Consumer and Business areas. We’re trying to push the boundaries of what is expected of us, redesigning the KPI’s and targets that are worked to from the traditional ITIL to customer centric, with the aim to improve every part of the consumer journey. Finally, we’re looking at ways in which automation can benefit the business, either by designing new systems or incorporating technology in to what we have already in place.
We are looking for an experienced Principal Network Engineer who will be primarily responsible for supporting consumer and business edge through IP aggregation, core, backbone, interconnect and peering up to and including the Data Centre (Firewall, Load balancing and Switching).
As the Principal Network Engineer, you will work as part of a high profile and functioning team, providing expert level support and delivering innovative solutions. You will work alongside both Data and ISP Systems Support colleagues to provide a complete E2E support function within Virgin Media and LGI T&I CNO.
As the Principal Network Engineer, you are expected to balance competing BAU and project demands to deliver new and upgraded services on time as well as provide both technical and task leadership within the Data Support team for junior members of the team
Some of the key accountabilities include:
- Work with peers in Engineering and Operations to deliver the strategic goals of the Core Infrastructure platforms, from both a new service introduction and support perspective.
- Ensure that all change activity on the Core Infrastructure platforms adhere to internal Change Management policies and meet the criteria for Operational acceptance.
- Provides technical leadership for network element and network management platforms in terms of repair, re-configuration, hardware & software support and use of existing technologies and practices.
- Provides high level, detailed reports on ongoing complex faults, validating and implementing repair actions.
- Contributes to project work streams & meetings, impact assessments and leads in operational readiness activities.
- Contributes to peer group forums to review technologies systems, architecture and assist in operational improvements by way of innovative solutions.
- Proactively identify and drive improvements in service through technology, process improvements and promote use of industry best practice.
- Lead and co-ordinates engineers and cross-functional teams in the resolution of long running and complex technical problems.
- Supports problem activities in incident reviews and represents Core Infrastructure Support on network programmes and initiatives.
- Identify and ensure the correct management of risks associated with network management activities.
- Maintain the integrity of the Core Infrastructure platforms in their entirety to ensure that both regulatory and compliance requirements are met eg. ISO27001, CAS(T) etc.
- Supports the selection of permanent and contract team members and enable the team by providing technical leadership, guidance, coaching and mentoring.
Are you right for the role?
We are looking for someone with:
- Extensive experience in supporting carrier /enterprise grade network infrastructure, Juniper, Nokia, Cisco.
- Understanding of HFC, DOCSIS and CMTS technologies.
- Comfortable in a multi-vendor, multi-protocol, ISP environment.
- In-depth understanding of underlying network fundamentals not limited to TCP/IP, Routing, Switching and the OSI model.
- Process oriented skills for troubleshooting, problem solving and problem resolution.
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal) and the ability to adapt to technical and non-technical audiences (upto VP/MD level).
Other great information
We’ve recently launched our new Purpose & Values – something that really matters to us and will give you a real insight into how we embrace our values in all that we do
What to do now?
If this sounds like a great next step in your career then click apply to send through your profile.
Virgin Media is part of Liberty Global, the world’s biggest cable company. We are delivering the biggest investment in the UK’s digital infrastructure for over a decade. Through four multi-award-winning services - Virgin Fibre, Virgin TV, Virgin Mobile and Virgin Phone - we help people access technology to build connections that really matter.
We are dedicated to nurturing an engaged workforce that represents the diversity of our customers and communities. Read more here.
Our benefits are your reward for being brilliant. They’re pretty darn spectacular. Just like our people. We’ve put together a package to help you love what you do, at work and at play. You will get 25 days holiday and your birthday off each year, we provide a company funded Medical Plan as well as a Pension Plan where we will match every pound you put in, up to 10%. What's more you'll also benefit from discounts across Virgin Media products and Virgin brands and many other perks on top.
You can find out about all benefits in full here.
Come and be a part of something special. Join us!