Time TypeFull time
Area of BusinessB2B, Planning & Engineering
LocationReading - Green Park, Brook Drive
Job ID 00020210
About the role
Join Virgin Media Business (VMB) as an Activate Principal Engineer to provide in-depth technical knowledge and ability to support a team of advanced telecommunications engineers in an ISP environment. You will take ownership of new product development and lead as the “technical guru” for all Data Products delivered on behalf of Virgin Media Business within the wider delivery organisation.
The customer is the heart of everything we do so of course we want your technical experience but what is really important is the ability to take ownership of queries and managing through to a prompt resolution, ability to effectively liaise with colleagues to ensure best practice and continual improvement in delivery of service to the business. Establishing productive relationships and networks at an operational level to build and maintain customer relationships.
- Provide technical leadership within Activate, offering guidance for best practices, strategies and solutions. Be a role model for colleagues.
- Conduct classroom-based training sessions founded upon the department’s training requirements, utilizing the team’s skill matrixes, personal development plans and productivity reports where appropriate.
- Encourage and facilitate collaboration/ knowledge sharing within the teams. Providing and developing tools for the group to expand their technical abilities, skillsets, and products knowledge for current and upcoming technologies.
- Provide effective communications to team members regarding any technical updates within products, processes or platforms.
- Ensure management platforms, operational toolsets, documentation and processes are fit for purpose, enabling and improving productivity across all team functions to meet the agreed KPIs.
- Guarantee compliance with engineering and security directives across the whole department, ensuring all work is conducted to regulatory standards and company policies.
- Collaborate with stakeholders within the development of new products/ solutions, ensuring the business, resource, training and SLA needs are being catered for. Developing business processes, work instructions and toolsets for associated team functions.
- Provide analytical insight and identify areas for improvement, measuring strategic characteristics within processes, and delivering reporting capabilities for team managers.
- Function as the department’s technical ambassador to cultivate and maintain effective productive relationships with business units to ensure network solutions meet customer expectations.
- Take ownership of technical escalations from Provisioning Engineers/ other business units, troubleshooting problems and faults appropriately. Act as the lead engineer for large project rollouts or high profile customers; handle complex network deployments, changes and migration within their solutions.
- Devise strategies to reduce undesirable traits including install failures, escalations and referrals. Work with upstream and downstream partners to develop initiatives to improve revenue and service. Investigate technical viability within approaches to improve overall unit costs within product delivery and resourcing.
So what are we looking for?
- Customer focused individual that focuses on team play.
- Experience of leading and developing a successful technical operational team with strong focus on people in customer-focused, target driven environment ideally within B2B IT/ data networking and or telecommunications.
- Strong communication skills along with good decision making skills, flexibility and strong organisational skills with the ability to manage change effectively.
- Extensive knowledge of routing and switching within a WAN environment, including networking fundamentals, layer 2 & 3 technologies, VPN services and security infrastructures. Key areas of interest include: IPv4 & IPv6, dynamic routing protocols (BGP/EIGRP/OSPF/RIP), MPLS/VPLS/DMVPN, resiliency and loop prevention techniques, QoS and NAT.
- Demonstrated technical expertise within network deployments, network management, application analysis (packet captures) and troubleshooting techniques.
- The ability to take ownership of queries/ escalations and managing through to a prompt resolution. Liaise with colleagues to ensure best practice and continual improvement in delivery of service to the business. Establish productive relationships and networks at an operational level to build and maintain customer relationships.
- Must have a good understanding of networking, routing and DNS, as well as systems and associated technologies along with emerging engineering technologies. An understanding of Alcatel and Cisco product ranges, OSI 7 layer model, a background in TDM and WDM and the use of them.
- Technical Qualifications should include HND or equivalent in Electronics or Telecommunications. Vender certification in Cisco or Alcatel is desirable. (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, NRS II).