Time TypeFull time
Area of BusinessIT, Mobile & Broadband
LocationReading - Green Park, Brook Drive
Job ID 00023243
About the role
As a Senior Middleware Developer you'll be responsible for the design, development and 4th line support of Virgin Media services. Services are delivered in a large-scale Middleware SOA architecture, evolving from Java / JEE to a Micro service architecture using Spring Boot & Go.
Virgin Media Middleware plays a central role at the heart of most digital change in the company. This means the opportunity to not only influence approaches but observe trends, propose improvements and co-ordinate change across the company!
We'd need the successful candidate to work with internal and external stakeholders to deliver services at scale.
Who we are
We're on a mission to ensure that our brilliant people have a working environment in which they can truly belong and thrive. As an equal opportunities employer, it's critical that every single person can bring, and be, their whole selves at work.
The must haves
In order to be considered, you must have the following experience;
- Proven track record in Java/J2EE development
- Strong hands on middleware software design and development experience. Specifically loosely coupled component interface design within a large component based infrastructure.
- An experienced software team leader that has successfully developed and delivered large scale, high availability applications.
- Experience of managing suppliers to ensure they deliver services and solutions agreed to within the terms of the contract. Ability to build effective working relationships between the two organisations.
- Proven experience of developing software within a well defined development process. Fully familiar with the tools and techniques used (e.g. UML, and Agile Development).
- Proven design and development skills, using some or all of the following technologies / languages: RESTful APIs, SOA, MSA, Java, JEE5, Unix / Linux. Web Services, REST, JSON, XML, XSD, WSDL, EJB, XSL, JAXB, JAXWS, JDBC, JMS, JNDI, etc Eclipse / Intellij, Maven, SVN / Git, SOAPUI, XML-Spy, etc. Testing – SOAPUI, TDD – Junit, BDD - Cucumber Concepts: Service Oriented Architecture, Enterprise Application Integration, OO, GoF patterns, JEE core design patterns. Enterprise Service Bus, Configuration, Release, Change & Build Management. Frameworks such as Spring, JBI, etc
The other stuff we're looking for
We'd also love you to bring experience in using;
- Java Oracle Fusion 11g
- Virtualisation environments VMware/VirtualBox/OpenStack etc
What's in it for you?
We know that benefits mean so much more than the 'stuff' we can give you, so we offer a wide range of support, rewards and tools - all focused on helping you to prioritise what really matters.
All work and no play just isn't our style! We're already planning our future ways of working, for when life becomes a little more normal again. We're constantly evolving our approach to enable you to find a great work life balance.
Want to learn more about our benefits? You can check them out here.
If Virgin Media feels like a place where you can belong, we'd love to learn more about you.
When you apply, you'll be asked about any adjustments you might need to support the recruitment process. Let us know, and we'll be sure to discuss it with you. Thanks for your patience in the meantime and for showing an interest in joining the Virgin Media family.