Time TypeFull time
Area of BusinessIT, Digital Services
LocationReading - Green Park, Brook Drive
Job ID 00023065
About the role
As a Senior Middleware Developer you will be responsible for the design, development and 4th line support of Virgin Media services. Services are delivered in a large-scale Middleware SOA architecture, evolving from Java / JEE to a Micro service architecture using Spring Boot & Go.
You must be able to work effectively with internal staff, stakeholders and 3rd party suppliers to deliver services at scale. Virgin Media Middleware plays a central role at the heart of most digital change in the company. This gives opportunity to not only influence approaches but observe trends, propose improvements and co-ordinate change across the company.
The role is a varied one and you will be respobsible for, and carry out a range of tasks on a day to day basis, these will include:
- Technical involvement in all stages of the development lifecycle of products and services, using middleware and Java / J2EE & MSA.
- Help evolve and rollout Micro-services at large scale.
- Responsible for the development, integration, support and maintenance of internet and provisioning based applications/services written in Java.
- Accountable for software delivery from third party system integrators. Can demonstrate effective third party relationship building and end to end solution delivery within agreed architecture, development methodology and timescales.
- Provides day-to-day management of internal and/or offshore development resources and third party suppliers who are providing services or resources to the team.
- Responsible for signing off individual development phases including design, development, unit testing and approving work completed by third party suppliers.
- Responsible for ensuring that all deliverables are of appropriate quality and meet the requirements. This can include design documentation, software, unit test documentation & results.
- Responsible for delivering loosely coupled components with clearly defined interfaces within a large component based infrastructure that conforms to a detailed design and requirements definition.
- Responsible for all development aspects within the development lifecycle from design through to the support and enhancement of applications once they are in production.
- Work closely with IT Operations teams to ensure applications are operationally robust and that application performance remains within defined boundaries.
- Work with the Development Manager to define and maintain software development standards and methodologies. Promote development standards and best practice within the team.
Are you right for the role?
The successful candidate will have the following skills or experience:
- Proven track record in Java/J2EE development (8 years or more)
-Strong hands on middleware software design and development experience. Specifically loosely coupled component interface design within a large component based infrastructure.
- An experienced software team leader that has successfully developed and delivered large scale, high availability applications.
- Experience of managing suppliers to ensure they deliver services and solutions agreed to within the terms of the contract. Ability to build effective working relationships between the two organisations.
- Proven experience of developing software within a well defined development process. Fully familiar with the tools and techniques used (e.g. UML, and Agile Development).
- Proven design and development skills, using some or all of the following technologies / languages:
- RESTful APIs, SOA, MSA
- Kubernetes platforms such as OpenShift, Anthos, GKE
- Java, JEE5, Spring Boot and Go
- RESTful APIs, SOA, MSA
- Unix / Linux
- Web Services, REST, JSON, XML, XSD, WSDL, EJB, XSL, JAXB, JAXWS, JDBC, JMS, JNDI, etc
- Eclipse / Intellij, Maven, Gitlab, Jenkins, XML-Spy, etc
- Testing – SOAPUI, JMeter, MounteBank, TDD – Junit, BDD – Cucumber, Karate
- CI/CD - DevOps, SecOps, SAST, DAST and Web application security
- Concepts: Service Oriented Architecture, Enterprise Application Integration, OO, - GoF patterns, JEE core design patterns
- Enterprise Service Bus, Configuration, Release, Change & Build Management
- Frameworks such as Spring, JBI, etc
Knowledge in some of the following would also be beneficial
- Mulesoft API Gateway and integration technology or other similar integration platforms
- Java Oracle Fusion 11g,
- Virtualisation environments VMware/VirtualBox/OpenStack etc
What we’ll provide for you:
This is an excellent opportunity to develop your skills in to the latest technologies and create leading products, services and support systems to us integrate with Liberty Global and continue both companies success.
A Salary up to £63,000
Pension: Matched up to 20% (10% Employee / 10% Employer contributions
Holiday: 25 days, plus your birthday (and bank holidays on top!)
Other: Private Medical, Life Assurance, Dental, ability to buy/sell holiday and many more discounts across the Virgin Group.
Join and you’ll be part of the Virgin Media family. You can trust us to do the right thing by you. We’re a great place to work - and we offer impressive benefits too. Get ready for a family friendly& flexible working environment where you’ll receive a generous holiday allowance, contributory pension and, of course, discounts on our fantastic mobile, broadband and cable.