Time TypeFull time
Area of BusinessIT, Cyber Security
LocationReading - Green Park, Brook Drive
Job ID 00022632
About the role
We're looking for an experienced DevOps Engineer to join the Digital team for our Google Cloud Platform (GCP) adoption.
The role holder will expand and improve the current infrastructure codebase using modern infrastructure-as-code (IaC) patterns and automate any maintenance routines to support day-to-day activities, as well as participating in the resolution of production incidents.
So that's what you'll get up, but what about us?
Well, we're super proud of our history, helping communities to stay connected with oodles of outstanding products and services. We offer the full works – broadband, TV, mobile, and landline – equipping our customers out with the very newest tech.
But it's not just what we do, but why we do it that really matters.
Our mission is to become the most recommended brand, by our people and our customers. An extensive part of that journey is about how we ensure that our forward-thinking people have a working environment in which they can truly belong and thrive. For us, it's critical that every single person can bring, and be, their whole selves at work, and we're working hard every day to achieve this.
Tell me more, tell me more…
You'll be working with the Digital team in a hands-on role. Essentially providing a simple, zero-friction, self-service access to public cloud services for development and applications teams across Digital, with a focus on building modern, secure, resilient, scalable automated platforms.
The must haves:
- Experience of working as a GCP - Google Cloud Platform DevOps Engineer
- Hands-on experience of cloud automation tools such as Terraform, Jenkins, Ansible, Python, Puppet, Chef, following modern software development tools and techniques
- Experienced in automation scripting, IAC - Infrastructure as Code, DevOps tools, and procedures
- Deploying, testing, and building CI/CD pipelines
- Demonstrable knowledge and practical experience of managing cloud-native, especially in a GCP and Kubernetes environment
Other stuff we're looking for:
- IAM Policy and user management
- SRE - site reliability engineering, monitoring, and alerts
- Experience in security infrastructure and understanding of networking layout
- Experience with data architecture, data science, and big data
- Knowledge of security best-practice standards in DevOps
What's in it for you?
We know that benefits mean so much more than the 'stuff' we can give you, so we offer a wide range of support, rewards, and tools - all focused on helping you to prioritise what really matters.
All work and no play just isn't our style! We're already planning our future ways of working, for when life becomes a little more normal again. We're constantly evolving our approach to enable you to find an excellent work-life balance.
We're also open to chatting about part-time or adjusted working (so don't be worried to ask the question).
If you go on to be successful in your application, some of the many benefits include:
- 25 days' annual leave, plus UK bank holidays.
- A defined contribution pension scheme, run by Fidelity, matched up to 10%.
- An annual bonus based on company performance.
- Access to wellbeing benefits such as the Unmind App, personal medical cover (which you can opt to upgrade to cover loved ones), and critical illness cover
- Your birthday off every year, to treat yourself.
- The option to buy and sell up to 5 days' leave, to suit your personal needs.
If you think you've got some outstanding skills to offer us, and Virgin Media feels like a place where you can belong, we'd love to learn more about you. Once you've submitted an application the next steps of the process, if successful, are likely to include a two-stage interview process
When you apply, you'll be asked about any adjustments you might need to support the recruitment process. Let us know, and we'll be sure to discuss it with you.
Thanks for your persistence in the meantime and for showing an interest in joining the Virgin Media family.