Activate Senior Provisioning EngineerReading
Time TypeFull time
Area of BusinessB2B, Planning & Engineering
LocationReading - Green Park, Brook Drive
Job ID 00021259
About the role
Join Virgin Media Business (VMB) as a Senior Provisioning Engineer you will design, plan and implement layer 2 and layer 3 IPVPN solutions for VMB customers, ranging from Small Medium Enterprise, PSN to complex configuration level including large complex layer 3 network changes as directed by customer requests.
The customer is the heart of everything we do so of course we want your technical experience but what is really important is the ability to take ownership of queries and managing through to a prompt resolution, ability to effectively liaise with colleagues to ensure best practice and continual improvement in delivery of service to the business. Establishing productive relationships and networks at an operational level to build and maintain customer relationships.
- Understand VMB’s infrastructure as well as the customer's, making recommendations on diversity, redundancy and scalability.
- Work with project coordinators / managers and 3rd party vendors, as well as utilizing our on-net infrastructure, to build, provision and upgrade circuits on a variety of bearer types, such as Ethernet, FTTC, International, 3G and ADSL.
- Prepare and apply configurations to be rolled out on our Provider Edge routers, Alcatel layer 2 switches (NTU) and customer’s Cisco routers.
- Configuration of Interconnecting / Metnet devices to allow connectivity across the VMB MPLS.
- Adhering to our architecture guidelines and customer requirements undertake end-to-end testing, ensuring all provisions meet our SLA's, before handing over the circuits to management for alarm monitoring.
- Work with customers to troubleshoot issues out of their LAN and across the MPLS and Managed Internet Access.
- Make changes on in-life services, considering the impact of the change and any possible outage caused, ensuring the local change control process is followed with all relevant stakeholders updated.
- Be the technical lead on major projects, attend technical customer meetings and give presentations.
- Support the mentoring and up skilling of provisioning engineers.
- Be able to configure Alcatel layer2 equipment using both vender specific on-boarding tools such as Alcatel SAM and understand the complexity of switched network traffic and how this influences the completion of layer 3, routed traffic.
- Be able to configure Cisco Layer 3 equipment using both advanced command line configuration and vender specific on-boarding tools such as IPSA and how this configuration influences the wider layer 3 solutions such as IPVPN or Managed Internet services.
- Be part of an on call Rota providing out of hours provisioning and change management of large complex layer 2 and layer 3 customer networks that are time sensitive around managed service interruption.
- Produce and update documentation on customer networks including device configuration and peer review process.
- To be able to logically provision and commission on our WDM and TDM platforms from simple to complex build, and to be able to work out of hours alone.
So what are we looking for?
- Customer focused individual that focuses on team play.
- A thorough knowledge of telecommunication standards and best practices within a technical provisioning role. Ideally in IT Telecom / data networking experience within a Service Provider or large enterprise environment within a provisioning or faulting role.
- Routing protocols and technologies, to include, but not limited to, EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, NAT, DHCP, MPLS, DMVPN, VRF-lite, IPSEC and GRE tunneling. A detailed and in depth knowledge of Quality of Service both 2 tier and 3 tier.Cisco CCNP routing and switching certified or showing practical skills at that level. Configuration of Cisco 877, 887, 1841, 1921, 2951, 3945 and ASR model routers and all legacy devices that remain on a customer network. Alcatel MRP routing professional, or showing practical skills at that level. Configuring Alcatel 6250 / 6850 switches, adding NNI and UNI services, creating interfaces to test across the layer 3 and changing port settings. Along with Advanced knowledge of circuit provisioning, testing and troubleshooting.
- Technical Qualifications should include ND or equivalent in Electronics or Telecommunications. Using back-end provisioning tools IPSA, SAM Metnet / Alcatel and BMC Remedy. TDM and WDM technologies.
- This role does require security clearance / a willingness to undertake the checks in order to work on sensitive customer networks.